Spring is often filled with outdoor adventures, especially here in Arizona. However, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, seasonal allergies affect more than 50 million Americans. If left untreated, allergies can escalate to a sinus infection, which can cause facial pain, congestion, bad breath, coughing, and dental pain.
Snow Family Dentistry Allergy Tips
Try the following options to relieve your allergy symptoms:
- Antihistamine: This is your typical allergy medicine. Some examples of over-the-counter brands include Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin.
- Decongestant: This medicine will help relieve your congestion. Sudafed and Mucinex are a couple of medicines that can help.
- Humidifier: Keeping air warm and humid can help relieve the symptoms of allergies.
- Stay inside: Check your local weather for pollen counts and windy days. These are good indicators of when you should avoid being outside
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy): If none of the above options work, you may need to take allergy shots. This is a series of shots that slowly allows your body to acclimate to the allergen causing your symptoms.
When to See a Dentist
If your teeth hurt and you have a sinus infection, don’t worry! It’s most likely due to your maxillary sinus cavity not being able to drain properly. This puts pressure on your teeth, causing pain.
While a sinus infection can be the cause of your tooth pain, your teeth may also be the cause of your sinus infection. If you deal with allergies, it may be hard to determine the cause of the pain in your teeth.
If you have a prolonged toothache, we recommend that you go to you a dentist like Snow Family Dentistry for an examination. A dentist will be able to determine whether there is an issue with your mouth that is causing your pain. If we do not find anything notable in your examination, we may refer you to an endodontist who can check for nerve damage.
If you have had tooth pain with or without a sinus infection, click here to schedule your free Snow Family Dentistry consultation today!